Here is an update regarding band camp. After our Governor’s announcement the other day that included delaying the start of school until after Labor Day, I expect that our band camp will, at best, be delayed and very possibly cancelled. Three of our SM bands planned to have their camps starting this coming Monday and they were told to suspend them. SMNW has a similar schedule to ours but they were told by their school administration that they need to suspend. I haven’t received that direct word from SMS but I fully expect it after the Governor’s plan comes out Monday and our district and SMS release their plans. When there is a definitive word, I will share it with you, but I know there are lots of questions in our band community and this might help. It is a little ray of hope that the other bands have been told to “suspend,” not cancel at this point.
This is absolutely a gut punch to me as I know it will be for so many of you. I would like nothing more than to get outside with all of you and get marching and making music-enjoying each other’s company and accomplishing goals together, but this virus is still rampant in our county and severe steps must be taken to stop it. Please, everyone, do your part to protect yourself and those around you. You’ve heard it a thousand times-wear your mask, keep that 6-foot distance, wash your hands frequently and thoroughly and, avoid large gatherings. These simple actions work!
This is an update: things can change as they have done seemingly daily for the past week. Stay tuned with the hopes I can share some good news soon. Let’s do our part so we can get back to school to learn, be together and do the things we love. I miss all of you!